July 6, 2011 2 Comments
Nokia has been in the eye of storm for past couple of months or I should say years. For the uber optimists like me we see the Motorolla story repeating all over. Nokia has in past risen from ashes once after the Soviet Union collapse. It is already there in their DNA to bounce back and they have so much to learn from Motorola so I feel they can bounce back for sure
What Nokia has been doing to confirm our idea -
1) Killing of brand Ovi in favor of Nokia. Nokia has decided to terminate the use of its brand name Ovi for all managed services under the Nokia umbrella , using only Nokia services. They are increasing the brand recall and doing away with brands which won’t get any premium in the event of a split or hiving off of some units of the company. It is in a way good since the experience is quiet tied to handset and soon Nokia might be offering all these services of other Window phones. As a matter of fact Samsung , HTC got no specialized map, LBS service, Music service or other services which erstwhile Ovi Suite had.
2) Selling of assets not in line with the long term goals. They just sold operator branding messaging business in North America to Synchronica for 25 million USD.
4) Nokia following in footsteps of iMessage launched its new look instant messaging app so that when the Mango aka Windows 7 come out they have lesser catching up to do
5) Nokia is frantically closing down non-viable and cash draining operations. They have closed their on-line stores in several European countries, withdrawn Ovi Music now Nokia Music in 27 out of 33 locations. It takes lot of guts to take decision on such issues but Nokia is still managing to hold on.
6) Settled the patent issues with Apple and getting a good royalty for its patents. Decisions like this are rock stars – establish stable revenue stream and get the much needed CASH Nokia needs, saves the cost in legal expenses and most importantly help company focus on core business and objectives.
7) Nokia is nursing its prized jewels well and not letting the famous bureaucracy interfere the leftover autonomous units. We will follow up with a story about the jewels of Nokia left in another story soon.
We hope Nokia is able to resurrect as the Phoenix we have known it to be. Hope Hope Hope !!!