July 1, 2011 5 Comments
I am an avid social networking user and got on board Google Plus on the first day of Launch through the help of my dear friend Aditya Sharma . This post is my feedback to what I felt about Google Plus. Google is shouting from roofs about better privacy options in Plus but only those who don’t know how to use Facebook Privacy settings can agree to it.
Statuary Warning : The post might sound greek to normal users and all those are not Privacy Freaks.
Nice things -
2) Ability to see updates of only a specific Circle , Facebook fanatics will shout Facebook Groups , but they also know their state. I had 20 friends of mine adding me a group ny name of my university and it is too frustrating until I turned off all those Groups. This was one real nice feature I feel Facebook can learn from.
3) Heard a lot about Video chat stuff, not tested it out , still Hopeful
Things I didn’t like ( this one is a longer list)
1) No way to import friends from Google contact to Circles on a category basis. I know it sounds confusing let me explain.
I have X friends from my University in my contact list of Google which I have maintained very religiously as the central repository of my friends. I have a Contact list called JIIT ( my university Name) with 600 members and when I come to Google Plus I want all of them as and when they come to stay in a Circle called JIIT.
Now Google expects me to drag and drop 600 contacts … wow … Even Facebook allows me to Import a CSV file and it goes into a specified Friend List. Why can’t Google give such a simple option and it has to make it miserable for people to bring in their friends
2) No way to selectively remove circles or groups from viewing your activity.
Google only provides for adding names of Circles who should view it. What if I want something to be visible to everyone except one/two Circle. The MINUS sign Google pioneered in search box and Facebook nicely copied allowing you to selectively remove people of friend list from watching your activity.
Google, You just can’t make a horse cart with light reflectors at back and say like your car we also got Tail Lights.
3) No way to ensure spammers don’t add me to their circles. WTH. Google on its forums has replied that you have the right to block them. Why in first place I should get them . Why can’t I chose not be sent random invites.
I have not taken a Technical or Creative View on Google Plus, It was just the pure truthful frustrations of a Dedicated Google Bhakt who expected Google to do it better or at least now I hope they fix it ASAP